EHSA is proud of our members’ ethical action efforts, including civil and human rights, equality, environmental action, homelessness, promoting a living wage and other community social action efforts.
Some of our ongoing and recent efforts include:
- Helping to end homelessness by supporting Homeward Bound’s “Room in the Inn” program to provide shelter for women. The simple goal is to keep women without homes from sleeping on the street and risking their safety. The greater goal is to build caring, supportive relationships with them, one week at a time.
- BUYcott for a Living Wage. The Ethical Humanist Society of Asheville initiated “BUYCOTT for a Living Wage” to thank and support businesses that have been certified as Living-Wage Employers by Just Economics of WNC. Certified businesses are listed at www.justeconomicswnc.org.
- Stand Against Racism. Our members participated at a rally at the former site of the Buncombe County Courthouse on Pack Square (current site of the Vance Monument) to encourage signing a petition asking the city to erect monuments and other public testimonials recognizing the contributions of African Americans in Asheville.
- Helping to end hunger by supporting Manna Foodbank.
- Collaborating with a variety of other community groups.